Crockpot Chicken, Beans and Brown Rice

I can’t believe it is almost November. I swear the older I get, the faster time goes by. So Friday, before I left for work, I put healthy beef stroganoff in the crockpot. I was somewhat in a rush because I didn’t want to be late for work, and therefore I didn’t read the recipe correctly. So when I pulled into the garage it smelled amazing, but when I went to lift the top off the crockpot, it was mush. What I didn’t read was that I was supposed to cook the noodles separately. FAIL! Oh well, the meat was wonderful, but I’ll have to try that one again before I post it on here. I have to admit that I have never had beef stroganoff and was looking forward to it last Friday.
 
Yesterday, I tried a new recipe. I was unsure about it because I didn’t know if it was going to be filling but boy was I wrong. It was so good! I actually got an idea that if you put this in Tostitos scoops and top it with cheese and a dollop of sour cream, they would be the perfect football snack. I do recommend making this meal on a day that someone will be near. At 6 hours, you have to pull the chicken out and shred it, and then with 30 minutes left, you have to add the rice. So I suggest this as a weekend meal. Eric was off yesterday, so it worked out perfect!
 
Funny story, I don’t know why, but when I cook meals that are healthy and high in protein, I always think of my best friend’s husband in Dallas. He’s one of those healthy people that I strive to be like but often get distracted by this thing call junk food. I wish I could eat and workout more like him. So I texted Brooke last night and said, “I thought of Forrest when making this. It’s so yummy, try it soon.” I get a text back saying, “Omg, I made the same thing tonight!” and a picture of the meal we both cooked in the exact same bowl! I guess we are best friends for a reason! If anyone is wondering, I have the Gabriella from Pottery Barn as my every day china and love it!  
 
Anyways, this recipe was a win in my book! 
 
Ingredients
1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10-ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
1 can low sodium corn
2 cups organic low-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup whole grain instant brown rice
 
Instructions
  • Add all ingredients except the rice to the slow cooker, placing the chicken on top.
  • Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until the chicken is tender enough to be shredded.
  • Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, shred it, then add it back to the slow cooker.
  • Add the rice and cook an additional 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
  • If there is too much liquid, leave the lid on and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes on high.
  • Top with reduce-fat shredded cheese.

Comments

  1. This is in our crockpot right now! Can't wait. I substitued the rotel with the rotel with lime & cilantro. Hope that doesn't change the taste.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts