Crock-Pot Chicken Noodle Soup

For those that read the blog yesterday, I stated how cold it was on Saturday in Alabama. Today it’s 63 degrees. You have to love the weather in the south! I was really wanting soup and was trying to decide between Taco Soup or Chicken Noodle soup. My sister and her husband weren’t big taco soup fans, so chicken noodle it was. This is a very simple recipe. I have noticed lately that I am doing a lot of meals in the crock-pot again. They are so easy, always delicious, and make the house smell really good!

I made only a few minor changes to the recipe. I didn’t add bay leaves…I forgot them at the grocery store. I also had 2 pounds of chicken and decided to just add it all. I really enjoyed the chunks of chicken in the soup, and I was stuffed after one bowl. Lastly, I used whole wheat penne noodles instead of spaghetti noodles.  

Ingredients
1 ½- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 cups chicken stock 
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp of onion powder or 1 onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
8 ounces whole wheat penne noodles
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 

Instructions
  • Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Place chicken into a 6-qt slow cooker.
  • Stir in chicken stock, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
  • Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred, using two forks.
  • Stir pasta and chicken into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for an additional 30-40 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
  • Stir in lemon juice and parsley.
  • Serve immediately.


Happy Eating! 

Comments

Popular Posts