Kung Pao Chicken Zoodles

UGH! Has anyone else been under the weather? I am so tired of being sick. This is day 6 for me. Thank goodness it isn’t the flu, but it’s kicking my butt. I thought I was starting to feel better on Tuesday, but I was wrong. The last thing I wanted to do when I got home last night was cook dinner, but I wanted something warm. I also am trying to stick to our weekly budget, but that is easier said than done. I mean Chick-Fil-A’s chicken noodle soup was sounding fabulous. Thankfully, Eric cut up the chicken and bell peppers before I got home, so I jumped right into dinner when I walked through the door. Before I get to the recipe, let’s talk about Zoodles. HA! Yes, Zoodles! They are zucchini noodles. I have been on the hunt for them for about a week. Yesterday, I finally found them. Just so you know, they are not at Publix, Target, Walmart, or Sprouts. They only place I have found them is Whole Foods. The brand is Veggie Noodle Company and labeled Zucchini Spirals. They are near the juice and fruit section. I am so glad that my husband actually enjoyed these. I will say the noodles aren’t as filing as regular pasta, but they also are 10 times healthier.  I cannot wait to try more recipes with them.

On to the recipe. I happen to frequent this blog a lot called Skinny Taste. All of her recipes have been spot, on and this one was no exception! Kung Pao Chicken Zoodles were the bomb! I loved it, and it was so simple to make! I did not have grapeseed or canola oil, so I used olive oil, and I decided to use Sriracha chili sauce instead of the hot chili sauce she recommended.  I will say, it does have a kick to it. Eric learned out the hard way when he was literally licking his bowl and thought it would be a good idea to drink the juice at the bottom. Thank you for making me laugh! Lastly, you will need a knife to cut the zoodles when eating it!
Ingredients
2 medium zucchini, about 8 oz each, ends trimmed or 2 packages of zucchini spirals
1 teaspoon olive oil
6 oz skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ground ginger
2 tbsp crushed dry roasted peanuts
For the sauce:
1 1/2 tbsp reduced soy sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp hoisin sauce
2 1/2 tbsp water
1/2 tbsp sriracha sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
Instructions
  • In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, balsamic, hoisin, water, red chili paste, sugar and cornstarch; set aside.
  • Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat oil in a large, deep nonstick pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until brown. Set aside
  • Reduce heat to medium, add sesame oil, garlic and ginger to the skillet and cook for about 20 seconds. Add the bell pepper, stir in soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened and bubbling. Stir in zucchini noodles and cook, mixing until just tender and mixed with the sauce. If it seems dry, don’t worry the zucchini will release moisture. Once cooked, mix in chicken and top with peanuts.

Happy Eating!
Original Recipe: Kung Pao Chicken Zoodles

Comments

Popular Posts