Whole 30 Day 5-7- Nashville + Homemade Baked Potato Chips

Day 5-7—Friday after work, I drove to Nashville to see one of my best friends that moved there last year. I hate to admit this, but it is my first time up there to see her since she moved. I left work about 7pm and headed that way but made a stop by Whole Foods to get some dinner. I wanted something inexpensive and easy to eat, so I got some fresh made guacamole (seriously has gotten me through the Whole 30), Applegate Fresh Peppered Turkey from the deli counter, a banana, and water to drink. That was my dinner, and surprisingly I was full.

Saturday morning, Mallory decided to take me to downtown Franklin because I had not seen that part of Nashville the numerous times I had been. It is such a cute little place with adorable shops and restaurants. We decided on the place called Puckett’s Grocery & Restaurant. You can tell it was a local hot spot that tourist don’t know about. This statement was confirmed when Todd Chrisley and Nanny Faye came walking in. Eric and I love their show Chrisley Knows Best—that family is a hoot! So, it was very cool for them to sit down a couple of tables over. I had just told Mallory that I needed to go to the bathroom, and of course it’s a one stall bathroom in this little restaurant. Well guess who was in the bathroom line? Nanny Faye, and y’all she is just like she is on TV and talked my ear off. She’s hysterical! Really made me miss my grandmothers! Anyways, for breakfast I ordered two scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, and 2 pieces of bacon. I also drank black coffee. To this day, I would have never thought I could drink black coffee, but their coffee was so good. So breakfast was easy!

After breakfast, Mallory showed me around 12 South, and we dropped a few dollars at Nordstrom. From there we went downtown and spent the day riding bikes all over Nashville and the Gulch. We grabbed a late lunch from a place called Bakersfield. I really didn’t know what type of food it was, and when we walked in, I was faced with test number one. It was tacos, tequila, and whiskey. Not only did I want queso, but I wanted a cold margarita on the rocks with salt. UGH!!! But I ordered a salad with a side of guacamole (see a pattern) and a water with lime. Thank goodness Mallory ordered a salad too. If it was within a hand’s reach, I don’t know if my will power would have been that good.

We then went back to her condo, took a small nap, showered and headed out for dinner around 8pm. At this point, I was thankful for a late lunch! We didn’t sit down for dinner until about 10pm. We sat at the bar and had drinks and apps. Ha, I say we, but I watched as they ate queso, fries, and buffalo chicken fingers. I was so proud of my self-discipline. I’ll be honest, I have never really followed through on something like this before, so to say Saturday was challenging was an understatement. If you follow me on Instagram you saw my funny video of me with a water, and everyone else cramming food in their face with their glasses of wine and beers. Make note, don’t go to Nashville on the Whole 30 because you will be tested!

Sunday, I left pretty early since Mallory had afternoon plans, and I had 800 things to do at home. Although it was a fast trip up there, I was grateful for our time together. 3 hours doesn’t seem far apart, but when you get caught up in everyday life, it is! Definitely going to go back up there soon when I can enjoy all the food and alcohol Nashville has to offer LOL!

Sunday night, I decided to cook hamburgers with homemade chips and grilled asparagus (avocado oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder). This meal was so simple and easy, and Eric and I LOVED the homemade potato chips. I did change a couple of minor things like putting parchment paper down on baking sheets and using avocado oil instead of olive oil.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons avocado oil
2 Russet potatoes cut ¼ inch thick
Sea salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Ground pepper

Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay down parchment paper on baking sheet; set aside. Put potatoes, avocado oil, 1 tablespoon salt, and the cayenne in a large bowl; season with pepper. Toss to combine.
  • Arrange potato slices on prepared baking sheets, spacing them apart. Bake for about 15 minutes and then remove pan from oven and flip over all chips. I re-salted at this point and put them back in the over for another 15 minutes until potatoes were crisp and golden brown.
  • Spread out potatoes on parchment paper; let dry 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, if desired


Can you guess which burger is mine?
Happy Eating! 
Original Recipe- Baked Potato Chips

Comments

Popular Posts