Chicken Corn Chowder


Friends—I am so sorry that I have been away from the blog for a little bit. I have missed y’all and the blog terribly! Where have I been? I don’t even know where to start. This crazy thing called life got hectic for a minute (work, travel, etc.). But I’m back and can’t wait to share so much with you. If you have been following me on Instagram, I have been showing you a lot of my cooking. I am excited to share those recipes with you!

I can’t believe the holidays are literally around the corner. These means two things lots of decorating and lots of cooking! I am so excited to finally be able to decorate for Christmas. Eric and I have been together for eight years and lived together for four years, but we have never decorated for Christmas (No, we aren’t the Grinch! We just are in the hospitality industry and were never home). But now that we both have more flexible jobs, are married, and have so much Christmas stuff to decorate with (thank goodness for that Christmas shower), we will be going all out. I also have never had a real Christmas tree before, so I’m so excited to pick out the perfect one. Yay for new Christmas traditions! What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?  

Last Sunday, I cooked a Chicken Corn Chowder, and I had so many people message me about this recipe so today, I am going to share that with you. This is a perfect Crock-pot recipe. This weekend here in Alabama, it is supposed to get colder. This would be the perfect Sunday meal next to the fire!

This soup was so tasty. I don’t know why but while at Costco on Sunday, I had a grand idea to use Rotisserie chicken instead of chicken breast. I really feel like this truly made the soup—so flavorful! The other thing I changed was I also left out onions (for those that don’t know, Eric hates onions) and added onion powder. I am looking forward to making this again soon! Ps. Rotisserie Chickens are $4.99 at Costco! Such a deal! 

Ingredients
4 slices bacon, chopped 
1 lb. rotisserie chicken or chicken breast 
12 ounces red potato, diced
1 onion, diced or 1 TBSP onion powder 
1/2 16oz bag of baby carrots, cut in half
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cans corn kernels, drained
4 cups chicken broth 
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup half and half
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (optional)

Instructions
  • Heat skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel; set aside.
  • Place chicken, potatoes, onion (or onion powder), carrots, celery, and corn into a slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth, garlic, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper.
  • Cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 3 hours. If you are using raw chicken, I would cook on low heat for 8 hours and high heat for 4 hours. 
  • In a small bowl, whisk together half and half and cornstarch. Stir in half and half mixture and butter during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
  • Serve immediately and top with bacon.


 Original Recipe- Chicken Corn Chowder

Comments

Popular Posts